CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo., Sept. 14, 2015 — Southeast Missouri State University will observe Suicide Prevention Week Sept. 20-25 with a variety of events to promote suicide prevention and awareness and with a number of student organizations and departments participating.
Suicide Prevention Week will kick off with members of the campus and community participating in the Out of the Darkness Community Suicide Prevention Walk on Sunday, Sept. 20 at Cape County Park North. Registration for the walk is from 10 a.m. to noon with the walk beginning at noon. Counseling and Disability Services will have a resource booth at the walk.
Southeast students, faculty and staff are encouraged to register for the walk by visiting https://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=register.start&eventID=3282. Dove shaped suicide prevention pledges will be available in the University Center, third floor lobby area for $1 throughout Suicide Prevention Week. All proceeds generated from the pledges will be donated to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The pledges will be posted in the University Center to create awareness for suicide prevention.
Other events scheduled throughout the week are as follows:
- Monday, Sept. 21, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., University Center, third floor lobby: Free semicolon temporary tattoos will be provided by the Redhawk Health Educators.
- Tuesday, Sept. 22, 9 a.m., University Center Mississippi Room: Yakking Back, a social media training on suicide prevention will be provided by Heather Jenkins from Community Counseling Center.
- Tuesday, Sept. 22, 1-3 p.m., Kenneth and Jeanine Dobbins River Campus Center Atrium at the River Campus: Free, confidential depression screenings will be offered.
- Wednesday, Sept. 23, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., University Center, third floor lobby. The Residence Hall Association will host a cupcake decorating event to raise awareness of students’ unique characteristics that make them irreplaceable in honor of Suicide Prevention Week. Counseling and Disability Services will coordinate free, confidential depression screenings during this time.
- Thursday, Sept. 24, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kent Library. The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) will host the “I Won’t Stand Campaign.”
- Thursday, Sept. 24, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., La Croix Church in Cape Girardeau. Community Counseling Center will host the 2015 SE Missouri Suicide Prevention and Awareness Conference. Registration for the conference and details can be found at https://suicideawarenessconference.eventbrite.com.
- Friday, Sept. 25, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Academic Terraces. The Redhawk Health Educators will host Puppies for Suicide Prevention featuring plenty of playful pups from the Human Society.
- Friday, Sept. 25, noon, Academic Terraces. Suicide Prevention Week 2015 will conclude with a release of dove shaped balloons and a group photo. All Southeast students, faculty and staff are invited to attend the balloon release.
If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, Counseling and Disability Services provides free and confidential counseling on campus. You may schedule an appointment by calling (573)-986-6191 or Counseling and Disability Services office in Dearmont Hall. Crisis Services are available on campus by contacting DPS at (573)-651-2911. You may also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).