As previously shared, the Missouri Department of Revenue recently announced changes to the way an employee’s withholding amounts are calculated for 2019.
There are two major changes for 2019:
- All allowances (including self and dependents) have been removed from the Missouri tax withholding tables.
- Missouri taxes will be based on your Filing Status election. Choices are:
- “Single” or “Married Spouse Works” or “Married Filing Separate”
- If you elect this option, your Missouri taxes will be coded as “Single” and taxes will be calculated on the higher “Single” rate withholding calculation.
- Head of Household
- “Married (Spouse does not work)”
- If you elect this option, your Missouri taxes will be coded as “Married” and your taxes will be calculated on the lower “Missouri” rate withholding calculations.
If your filing status in 2018 was “Married” you will default into “Married” (Spouse does not work” which is the lower withholding calculation for 2019, unless you complete a new MO-W-4.)
If you wish to make changes to your Missouri withholdings, please complete a new MO W-4 form, available at https://semo.edu/hr/pdf/2019MO-W-4.pdf, and send to Human Resources, MS3150.
If you have any questions, contact Human Resources at (573) 651-2206.