The Standard Insurance Company was recently awarded a contract to provide employee life and disability insurance effective Jan. 1, 2018. There will be a one-time open enrollment for life insurance beginning Nov. 15 through Dec. 1, 2017. Below is a brief summary of the life and disability insurance highlights for 2018:
- The University-provided Basic Life Insurance coverage policy will be $25,000.
- Employee-Paid Supplemental Life Insurance
- The Standard will allow benefit eligible employees a one-time opportunity to increase supplemental life insurance benefits during this open enrollment. The form and premium rates can be found on the Human Resources website at http://www.semo.edu/hr/
- Eligible employees may elect 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x (new option), or 5x (new option) base salary coverage rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000.
- The maximum amount of coverage available is $750,000.
- The guaranteed issue coverage limit, which is the maximum amount of coverage that is automatically approved with no medical underwriting requirement, is the lesser of 5x base salary or $100,000 in coverage. Requests to increase supplemental life insurance coverage to an amount greater than the guarantee issue will require approval from The Standard Insurance Company via the completion of a medical history statement that can be accessed online at https://www.standard.com/forms/ebid/mhsonly/index.html. This completed form must be returned directly to Human Resources for processing.
- Employee-Paid Dependent Life Insurance
- Coverage amounts will remain the same at $5,000, $10,000 and $15,000 coverage policies. The form and premium rates can be found on the Human Resources website at http://www.semo.edu/hr/
- Employees may increase dependent coverage amounts up to the $15,000 maximum.
- Dependent Age limit for children will change to age 26. Employees may cover unmarried children to the end on the month in which the child turns 26, regardless of student status.
- Employees may also add eligible children based on the age 26 guidelines.
- Both the University-provided Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Long Term Disability coverage policies will continue at the same coverage levels.
Employees may review their current elections on the Southeast portal. Log in to the Employee Self Service, go to “Employment Details” section, and select the Benefits Statement. Life Insurance coverages and covered dependents are displayed on this statement. If an employee would like to keep their current coverage for Supplemental and Dependent Life, no action is required. Employees wanting to elect new coverage or change their current coverage during this one-time open enrollment must complete the Life Insurance form at http://www.semo.edu/pdf/hr-life_insurance_form.pdf and return to Human Resources, MS 3150 by Friday Dec. 1, 2017, by 5 p.m.
If you have any questions regarding the Life Open Enrollment process, please contact Human Resources at ext. 2206.