The Southeast Missouri State University Holland College of Arts and Media will host a fundraiser on Monday, March 2, at Minglewood Brewery to benefit student performances in Puerto Rico in May.
Minglewood Brewery is located at 121 Broadway in downtown Cape Girardeau. The event will be held from 11 a.m.-10 p.m., and at 5 p.m., students and faculty representing the University on the trip will be in attendance. A portion of all food and beverages purchased will go towards sending students and faculty from the Department of Music and The Jeanine Larson Dobbins Conservatory of Theatre and Dance to San Juan May 19-24 where they will perform “Celebrate the Arts!”, featuring dance, jazz, percussion and musical theatre numbers at several universities.
The fundraiser is part of a college-wide initiative with Southeast and numerous universities in Puerto Rico, that will allow Southeast to showcase the River Campus and provide a cultural experience to students and faculty. The Holland College of Arts and Media is expanding partnerships with multiple universities in Puerto Rico. In addition to the performances, the trip will serve multiple purposes, including:
- Establishing a cultural exchange opportunity for current Southeast students;
- Recruitment of Puerto Rican students interested in studying the arts, including students from EDP University in San Juan, Puerto Rico, who will visit Southeast and the River Campus March 29-April 4;
- Making contacts with artists to visit Southeast;
- Coordination of a conference by Southeast’s Department of Art and Design and the Southern Graphics Council. Southeast also is providing a lithography press and assisting in the setup of a printmaking tool/supply registry for the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras; and
- Presentation of and participation in master classes by students and faculty from Southeast’s Department of Music and The Jeanine Larson Dobbins Conservatory of Theatre and Dance.
Other upcoming fundraising events to support these initiatives and to help offset students’ costs of participating will include:
SEMO Giving Day
Show support by making a gift to the “Launch a Collegewide Cultural Exchange” fund online at givingday.semo.edu during the University’s 24-hour blitz to fund 12 projects across campus.
Puerto Rico Rummage Sale Preview
April 24, 5-8 p.m., John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center, River Campus
For only $5, guests can pre-shop the “Puerto Rico Rummage Sale” before it opens to the public April 25.
Puerto Rico Rummage Sale
April 25, 7 a.m.-5 p.m., John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center, River Campus
Rummage sale is open to the public, and all proceeds will benefit the Holland College of Arts and Media trip to Puerto Rico.
“Celebrate the Arts!”
May 7, 7:30 p.m., Donald C. Bedell Performance Hall
Enjoy an evening celebrating the arts and preview the dance, music and theatre performances before they debut in Puerto Rico. Tickets may be purchased by contacting the River Campus Box Office, located in the Cultural Arts Center, 518 S. Fountain St., weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., or by calling (573) 651-2265, or online at RiverCampus.org.