CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo.,
Sept. 4, 2007 – Student Transitions and the Office of the Registrar will co-sponsor a series of Senior Orientations later this month to provide Southeast Missouri State University seniors with the information they need as they transition to the workforce, graduate school or other opportunities.
The orientation will guide seniors through their last semester or year of college. Students will receive advice on applying for graduation in a timely manner, strategies and techniques for job searching, maintaining connections after graduation and more.
This will be the second time Southeast has offered “Senior Orientation;” the program was offered for the first time last February. Leon Book, director of Student Transitions and First-Year Experience, said the idea for Senior Orientation came from the 13th Annual National Conference on Students in Transitions held last November at St. Louis University.
“Sandy Hinkle (Southeast registrar) and Theresa Haug Belvin (assistant director for New Student Programs) attended a session on seniors at the conference, and it got them thinking about how well Southeast serves its seniors. After some planning, we came up with the idea for Senior Orientation,” he said. Book said he hopes the Senior Orientation accomplishes three main objectives: Ensures that seniors understand the procedures required for graduation; informs (or reminds) them of the services and resources available; and helps seniors connect with key personnel involved in their preparation for graduation.
Hinkle said the sessions will occur at different times on different parts of the Southeast campus in order to accommodate as many students as possible.
“We’re excited. We’ve planned for six sessions, beginning September 12. We want to give seniors as much information as we can to help them through the graduation process and beyond,” she said.
Hinkle said that, among other topics, the orientation will feature advice from Career Linkages about the job search, including cover letter and résumé writing, and Alumni Services will talk about networking after graduation.
“We have some very strong alumni associations out there,” Hinkle said.
Senior Orientation Schedule:
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, noon – University Center Program Lounge
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 4 p.m. – University Center Party Room
- Thursday, Sept. 13, 4 p.m. – University Center Program Lounge
- Thursday, Sept. 13, 6 p.m. – Robert A. Dempster Hall Room 126
- Tuesday, Sept. 18, 6 p.m. – Robert A. Dempster Hall Glenn AuditoriumWednesday, Sept. 19, noon – University Center Missouriana Room
Agenda of Activities:
- Welcome and OverviewSandy Hinkle, registrarLeon Book, director of Student Transitions and First-Year Experience
- Final Steps to GraduationJulie Grueneberg, assistant registrar/graduation
- Next Step: Post-Graduation PreparationWarren Skinner, assistant director for Career LinkagesNolan Brunnworth, St. Louis Career Specialist
- Staying Connected: Services for AlumniKaren Grebing, director of marketing, Alumni Services
- Individual Exploration & Follow-UpOpportunity to speak to representatives from various offices and departments about students’ particular situations